I was tired of looking at the low-rent plastic mat under my dog's food and water bowls. Using four fat quarters I picked up on a shop hop, I made this much nicer looking placemat. Very dignified for doggy dining.
The project, of course, was not without a snag or two. I pieced together a strip for the binding with all four patterns. I had a sinking feeling in my gut as I rounded the corners and the binding got shorter and shorter - then stopped with a two inch gap. OK. I can deal with that. Except I didn't have any pieces left that were wide enough, necessitating a fix for the fix. Sigh. But then it was smooth sailing.
Thinking it wasn't enough work to sew together 25 strips, I decided to go for an even 50 to do both sides with one-inch strips before finishing it with quilted diagonal lines. The fabric appealed to me because the colours are nothing like what I usually go for, but often those are the things you end up really liking. I hope my spoiled pup likes it, too.
Addendum: This is how much thread was left on the spool when I finished. So close!