Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Traditional with a twist

It's always bittersweet to mail a swap package. It's a relief to be done and exciting waiting for your partner to get it, but also a bit sad to let go of something you've put so much care into making.

This weekend I mailed my Alison Glass mini quilt swap package after finishing the quilted rainbow pouch. I only broke one needle on this zipper! Shattered, actually. I made a little collage to show off all the details, including the beaded zipper pull, nifty corners and awesome diamond quilting. I love how the blue thread looks on the dark grey.


Here's the back, with the label. I tucked a few little extras in the pouch - chocolate (including Canadian classics Smarties and Coffee Crisp which non-Canucks love), washi tape and a mini Sharpie.


And here is the mini in all its glory! I had been wanting to make a Storm at Sea quilt for a while, then I read my partner liked "traditional blocks with modern colours/arrangements" and I knew it would be perfect. Especially when paired with the saturated colours of these Alison Glass fabrics.


Now comes the really fun part of a swap - waiting for my partner to get my mini and for mine to arrive. It really ramps up the excitement when checking the mailbox!

Ps. I linked my rainbow pouch at Blossom Heart Quilt's Sew Cute Tuesday. If you haven't visited Alyce's site, check it out! Along with the Tuesday gallery anyone can join, she posts lots of great tutorials and block patterns. I've you've been admiring any of the blocks I've made for my quilting bee, she's one of the bee hosts and designs a bunch of the blocks!

6 comments:

  1. I truly love your swap gift. I'd have a very, very hard time letting it go. I'm sure your swap partner will be overjoyed when she sees it. You are tempting me to tackle a modernized Storm at Sea. Another quilt that pushes me in that direction is here: http://sewinsomethin.blogspot.com/2014/05/presenting-after-storm.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I really like that variation on the Storm at Sea, too! Thanks for sharing! There really are a lot of options once you see beyond the basic block.

      Delete
  2. I love that quilted rainbow pouch! Needle, schmeedle. That thread colour just pops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quilted rainbow pouch! Needle, schmeedle. That thread colour just pops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quilted rainbow pouch! Needle, schmeedle. That thread colour just pops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how you gave this one away. It makes me want to try this pattern as well. So many patterns........I have a bunch to tackle first.

    ReplyDelete