Monday, July 20, 2015

Portrait of a borzoi

Sometimes you have to drop everything to make something for a person who really needs a bright spot in a difficult time. I got to know a lovely woman on Instagram who also has a borzoi. There aren't that many borzoi out there, so it's nice to meet other people with the breed, even if it's virtually. Recently her beloved Ivan died quite suddenly. She was heartbroken about the loss, and my heart ached for her. Years later, I still get teary at the thought of my sweet Marie and her sudden death.

I remembered a borzoi pattern I found online a while back and immediately decided to make it for her. I altered the pattern a bit to resemble her Ivan, and decided on a floral background because she has a lovely garden and seems to have a romantic style of decorating from what I've seen on Instagram. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I did echo quilting in a flowy style, and stitched in the ditch around the borzoi to define the shape.


I mailed it today and hopefully she will get it by the end of the week. I hope it brings her some comfort. She's not a quilting person, but always makes such nice comments on my endless crafty posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment