Saturday, March 8, 2014

Diving in

I'm a bit late to the game joining a QAL for Tula Pink's City Sampler: 100 Modern Quilt Blocks, but I'm excited to finally get started. A CFF and I decided we'd make our way through the book from front to back. After a Pentagon-level discussion on how to tackle this project, we settled on a goal of 12 blocks a month. I have no idea how we'll do with that, if it's too many or too few. But it's good incentive to keep the momentum going.

Today I assembled my coveted stash of Laura Gunn's Garden Wall collection. I love her fabric, but it's not so easy to find. That's why I've been saving it for something special, and this project most definitely fits the bill. The stack of FQs is joined by yardage picked up at a discount at the biggest fabric store ever another CFF and I stumbled on while on a road trip. (Amazing fabric marked way down - that's a bargain-crazy crafter's dream!) Then there's teal and chartreuse in Kona cotton for background since many of the blocks are quite intricate and need a solid to show off the patterned fabric.


I knew the first block, really the first cuts, would be the toughest, so I forced myself to jump in and just get started. Right out of the gate, I am super excited by the design and how the fabrics go together. The book breaks down each block with such a simple and easy-to-follow illustration.


I immediately moved onto the second block. Similar fabric, but totally different feel. So that's two down, 98 to go. But I'm not at all worried about this becoming a slog. Each block is different and its own little adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment