Too frequently I find myself in a quilting predicament caused by me forging ahead without a plan. Case in point: I bought a FQ bundle of children's fabric with adorable farmyard animals and a barn scene. I wanted to preserve as much of the prints as possible and avoid maiming animals, so I cut them up strategically. Which lead to the problem: I had an assortment of different-sized fabric pieces. The solution was building on those odd patches with the other three prints to make a standard block.
I think it turned out well and I used every bit of the cute fabric while ending up with an interesting quilt about 40" square with a variety of blocks. I have cosy Robert Kaufman flannel in blue, green and white for the back and binding. I think it will be a great quilt for a baby boy or girl.
Now I am taking a sewing break while I'm off on vacation to Malta, but shortly after getting home I'm off on my first quilting retreat!