Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Memories of Australia

A dear friend and my regular travel companion celebrated a milestone birthday recently and I wanted to make her something special to mark the occasion.

Of course my first instinct was to make a pillow. I loved the Carolyn Friedlander pillow I made a while back, and decided to make another but with a more subtle colour scheme. And guess what? I love this one even more! But then that teal print is one of my all-time favourite fabrics. Seemed fitting to use a precious fabric for a precious friend.


On the back I used this neat ombre fabric that looks like a night sky:


I also wanted to make something that would be a reminder of our amazing trip this spring to Australia and New Zealand. I had Quiet Play's Aussie animals patterns, and decided to make a large fabric basket that would be great for holding her yarn or a knitting project. It's so freaking cute!! I had to do some Beautiful Minds type calculations, and make up a couple prototypes, to get the sizing right on the basket. I even did pretty well paper piecing with that directional heart print for the background.


On the back, I put a panel of sheep fabric I picked up in NZ. And then I quilted and quilted. With interfacing in there as well, it's quite sturdy.



No comments:

Post a Comment